I made authentic sausage and peppers for the first time tonight.Not the best I’ve ever had, but really tasty. I used more tomato than appears below (750ml box of Pomi) and it was a bit much. The peppers also should have been seared a bit more to simulate grilling, make sure the heat is high. And turn the sausages frequently to brown evenly on all sides.
- 1 lb sweet italian sausage
- 1 lb hot italian sausage
- 500 ml Pomi chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 large onions
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 6 cloves garlic
- red pepper flakes
- brown sausages in large skillet in 1 TB of olive oil over medium heat, until browned on all sides but not cooked through
- Thinly slice onions and cut peppers into strips.
- Remove sausage from pan and drain off excess grease if necessary, reserve 1 TB and increase heat to high
- saute onions until starting to wilt, then add peppers and cook quickly until slightly soft.
- Add garlic and cook for a minute.
- Deglaze pan with wine.
- Add 1 TB tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, and spices. Stir well and adjust seasonings.
- Add sausages back to pan, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir and cook 5 more minutes uncovered if necessary.
- Slice each sausage into 4 pieces, 1 mild and 1 hot per serving
- Pile onto Italian rolls or Greek pita