- 1/3 cup high quality cocoa (min. Ghirardelli. Valrhona, Scharffen Berger, Maison du Chocolat, or other premium brand preferred.)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 4 cups (or 1 liter) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Kahlua (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients except nutmeg in 4-quart saucepan. Add hot water and stir to incorporate over high heat until it boils. Start with 1/3 cup and add up to ½ cup if necessary to prevent from burning.
- Slowly pour in milk while stirring.
- Heat until hot, stirring occasionally, until almost at a boil. But do not bring to boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and nutmeg.
- Ladle into mugs and add 1 TB Kahlua per cup.
- Splurge for the “good stuff”, the quality of the ingredients makes all the difference. The cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla should be the best you can get your hands on.
- For an extra kick, add a shot of espresso. Then top with some frothed milk. Just like your favourite coffee shoppe, only much better, and 1/8 the price.
Follow the directions on the side of Hershey’s cocoa box. Essentially the same as above, but use ¼ cup Hershey’s coca, ½ cup sugar, 1 quart cow milk, omit spices and Kahlua, and top with mini marshmallows.