I’ve never been a huge fan of traditional shakshuka, but found a way to make it delicious. Instead of the regular tomato sauce, I use a can of Ro-Tel.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can ro-tel
- Heat 1 can of Ro-Tel in small-medium skillet
- make 4 small indentions in the tomato, and add one egg to each
- reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until eggs are poached to desired doneness.
- Season with pepper, za’atar, cumin, cayenne, etc.
- Sprinkle with olive oil before serving.
- Serve with tortillas (corn or flour), tortilla chips, or pita, with a side of Israeli salad and guacamole, sour cream, and schug/Cholula
- for extra tomato flavour, mix in 1-2 TB of tomato paste
- For extra spice, add a chopped jalapeno
- For more crunch and extra flavour, saute a chopped onion, garlic, and bell pepper in a bit of olive oil before adding the Ro-Tel. This morning I used the leftover vegetables from last night’s fajitas and it was fantastic