Last night of Hanukkah, decided to go out with a bang.
Appetizer was fried whiting filets, blot dry, sprinkle with Old Bay, dust with flour, lightly fry.
Then the conch fritters.
1/2 pound conch (two pieces)
1 large scallion
3 small red Thai chilies
1 clove garlic
Salt, pepper, spices to taste
1/4 cup flour
2 TB matzah meal
1/4 tsp baking powder
Extra light olive oil for frying
1. Rinse, dry, and coarsely chop the conch and scallions.
2. Deseed the chilies
3. Add all of the wet ingredients and seasoning to food processor. Pulse gently until conch is chopped into small pieces and batter is smooth.
4. Scrape into bowl and add flour and enough matzah meal to make the batter just thick enough to hold together.
5. Fry in shallow oil until lightly brown, then flip and cook the other side until crisp and nicely browned.
6. Drain on paper towels, serve with hot sauce of choice.
The banana is used was quite ripe which made them a bit sweet, not bad but I think it would be better with a yellow-green rather than brown-yellow.
I went easy on the spices, because I wanted to be able to taste the conch. It’s got a very mild flavour. I might add some allspice and curry powder to the next batch.