One of my favourite ways to eat chicken livers is to batter and fry them, Chinese style.
- 1/2 lb chicken livers (6 whole livers)
- 1 TB soy sauce
- 1 TB rice wine
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- rinse livers and cut in half, trim off any stringy connective tissues. Pat dry and put in bowl.
- Season with 5 spice powder, black pepper, cayenne
- add soy sauce and wine, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Stir welll to coat evenly with marinade.
- allow to marinate for 30 minutes
- in a seperate bowl, mix flour and cornstarch. Add more seasonings to taste.
- add beaten egg to livers and stir to coat
- sprinkle in flour mixture and stir gently to evenly coat each piece of liver in batter
- deep fry for a couple of minutes in hot oil
- serve with sriracha or soy sauce and chili oil
The original recipe called for half liver and half gizzards, but I find the gizzards are tough and chewy when cooked like this. The livers are crisp outside and creamy inside.