Not very authentic, but came out aromatic and tasty. Nothing was measured, so all quantities below are very approximate.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 shallots
- 6 slices ginger
- 1 stalk lemon grass, optional
- 6 small green chilies (leave whole for less heat)
- 1 TB soy sauce
- 1 tsp absinthe
- 1 TB white vermouth
- 1 TB patis fish sauce
- 1 TB tamarind paste
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 1 tsp fish paste or 1 TB dried shrimp
- 1/2 cup bay scallops
- 1/2 cup medium shrimp
- 1 haddock fillet (or other firm fish)
- 1 andouille sausage
- 1 plum tomato, optional
- 1 scallion
- Make a mirepoix of the vegetables. Saute in a large heavy bottom stock pot until onion is translucent.
- Add 1 liter of water, then stir in seasonings.
- Bring to boil and simmer until carrots are almost tender.
- Adjust seasonings of broth. Should be mildly spicy and salty and a bit tangy, but well balanced.
- Add meat and fish and simmer gently until cooked through.
- If desired, thicken with cornstarch.
- Garnish with chopped scallion.
- Serve with rice or bread.