I like to braise turkey legs in red wine and brandy as if they were lamb shanks. But also include elements from Chicken With 40 Cloves of garlic.
- 2 turkey legs
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 head garlic (or more)
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup Brandy
- 1 cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Separate garlic into cloves but leave the inner peel intact.
- Chop or slice remaining vegetables to make a mirepoix.
- Add herbs and vegetables to casserole dish with cover large enough to snugly hold the two legs
- Season the meat and vegetables with salt and pepper
- Add meat and liquids, cover, and braise until meat is cooked through and tender and golden brown. If desired, turn halfway to cook evenly, or just leave with skin side up
Spread the garlic onto bread and dip in the pan juices. Or strain and thicken into a sauce, mashing in a few of the garlic cloves.